[Ti] Changing format

~flipper flipper at macsrule.com
Mon Dec 30 10:31:52 PST 2002

Mark Swanson offered:

>nearly every jpeg file is now got a red icon and nothing will
>recognize their format.  Not Quicktime (which they were coded in)
>nor Graphic Convertor.  What happened?   When I check their
>information, they are still jpeg files and are the same sized files
>as before.   Is there a way to get them back?

If the last idea [Using Get Info, which i referred to as 'Show' Info]
doesn't work, launch Graphic Converter, go to preferences, and under
the heading called "Open" make sure the box called "Detect only clear
formats" is UN-checked, thenclose your prefs.

Then, under the "File" menu select "Convert..." . You'll see the
Convert window with three columns: Source on the left, Destination on
the right, and commands in the middle.

On the left side of the 'Convert' window, use the button to browse to
the folder containg the 'bad' icons. All of the files will appear in
the list. Next to that list is an arrow pointing to another list with
a button at the top. Select the same folder in that list. Below the
'destination' list is a button that is labeled Dest.Format. Select
JPEG/Jif and hit 'Convert' in the middle column.

That should do it. But I'm curious, did you try dragging a file to
your GC icon? If you did, and it didn't open, you should have been
given the chance to alter your "Detect only clear formats' pref, at
that point.

~flipper