[Ti] Laptop Health Warning!

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Sat Nov 23 08:56:53 PST 2002

>What about the increase in brain tumors among those who engaged in
>constant cell phone usage with the phone plastered to their heads? Isn't
>this why we all ran out an bought headsets?

Cell phones are probably the riskiest of all the wireless devices
that we use. The power levels can be of the order of several watts
and the antenna is usually very close to the head. Since it's
relatively cheap and convenient to use a headset then that's probably
a sensible strategy, particularly if you're a heavy user (heavy in
the metaphorical sense, that is ;-)).

Cordless phones, WiFi, etc run at an order of magnitude less power
(milliwatts rather than watts) so are probably much less of a concern
than cell phones.

Of course we all live with various risks. Every time you get in a car
you're raising the probably of premature death by several orders of
magnitude. And frequent fliers have a much higher risk of getting
certain cancers due to the increased exposure to gamma radiation at
high altitude (not to mention deep vein thrombosis). I don't imagine
that anyone wants go give up travelling by car or aeroplane though.
;-)

Paul