[Ti] Laptop Health Warning!

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sat Nov 23 11:22:28 PST 2002

Last time I heard (which was probably about a year or two ago), there
wasn't any increase in the rate of brain tumors; however, it was found
that people who both used cell phones and got brain tumors were more
likely to get a tumor on the side of the brain nearest to where they
usually held the phone.  Maybe that's just because the phone gravitates
towards the stupider side of the head, though.  ;-)

Anyway, I never saw the original message, and I can't find it in the
archive; methinks the digest missed a few things, because I got nothing
between about 6 PM on the 21st and about 12:40 AM today (the 23rd), and
I'm not missing a digest in between there...  But, FWIW, the Airport
Base Station (which I would imagine to be the stronger of the base
station versus the computer) has a total power output of about 32 mW:
that's about 1/30 of one Watt.  There are about 15 billion things
you're exposing yourself to every day that are stronger and more
harmful to you, so I'm not particularly worried about it.

Also, it should be noted that while we may not know everything about
electromagnetic radiation, often there is little we can do about it,
especially the parts of the EM spectrum that could be more harmful due
to their higher energy and that we know less about.  Cosmic rays are
going straight through us; they even plow straight through the earth.
For that matter, so are many other things, such as neutrinos.
Fortunately, on average, only one neutrino will interact with your body
over your entire life; the rest will pass straight through and you'll
never notice them.  What damage that one neutrino might cause is
totally unknown; they can't really be stopped.  In fact, one of my
former professors is part of a project to build a huge neutrino
detector, which actually looks *through* the Earth, trying to catch a
neutrino or two as it's passing out of the earth.

cbirds <cbirds at earthlink.net> writes:
> What about the increase in brain tumors among those who engaged in
> constant cell phone usage with the phone plastered to their heads?
> Isn't
> this why we all ran out an bought headsets?

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html