TiBook issues? (First post!)

Andy Axton andy.news at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 23 13:13:35 PST 2002

Hi guys, I'm new here :)

I've been looking all over the place for a decent PowerBook forum, and
finally I found this list (which I'm guessing must be good if one of
Apple's "co-founders" is subscribed).

I should hopefully be receiving my new TiBook (1GHz, 1GB, SuperDrive)
early next week, but am a little worried about some of the "horror
stories" on the Web. I hope I'm not covering old ground here, and have
done a fair bit of research on the Web already to at least conclude that
the following must be serious and valid issues for a lot of users, but
could you briefly let me know if you have reason to believe that the
"paint/delamination and wear issues" and/or the "keyboard/frame
screen-scratching issues" were fixed or remedied after a certain [the
latest?] revision? (Man, that's a whole lotta sentence.)

I've read that some early models didn't have the paint issues at all,
and have also read on some sites that Apple knows what the paint issue
was and has it sorted. (There was a good post on the Apple support
boards describing the causes of the problems.) I wouldn't have expected
such serious quality issues to hang about through the product
revsisions.

Also, out of curiosity....

Any rough ideas on average "dead pixel" counts for recent-model TiBooks?

Do you guys have any good recommendations/tips for preventing potential
common cosmetic (or other significant) TiBook issues?

Is there anything like an official-but-secret (or just plain official)
Apple "fix list" or any other source for finding out about actual
product revision improvements? (It would be nice to know about these
things before you buy, right?!)

Sorry for jumping in with all these queries; it would've been polite of
me to hold off and settle in here first, but ... I couldn't help myself
:)

Thanks!!

Andy
England, UK