[Ti] Audio Line In

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Tue Nov 26 11:32:15 PST 2002

on 25/11/02 11:42, Chris Parker at chris at hang-out.co.uk wrote:

> Up until now I've been importing old audio tapes via a cassette
> recorder and a Griffin iMic. Now my new PB/1GHz has arrived (!) I see
> it has an audio line in port. Can I connect the cassette recorder to
> this port or should I continue to use the iMic? (Or is there a better
> way?)

You might get better quality through the iMic, but there could be another
reason for using it - it provides a useful 'firewall' in case of accidents
with line levels.

Your cassette recorder line out is probably safe enough, but in some
equipment the audio out is more of a headphone or even speaker level than a
line level - volts rather than millivolts.

In other words, there is the possibility that some day you might fry the
'audio in' circuit of your beautiful new PB by using a direct connection
from a mixing desk or some other equipment that has too high an output -
perhaps just by using an incorrect jack with a gain turned up too high.

Shouldn't happen, but... .!  After all, what does an iMic cost to replace
compared with i TiBook?

Worth thinking about at least.

Colin McDonald