[Ti] OS X friendly scanners

Charles J. Thompson charlesjt at cox.net
Sat Nov 30 06:43:19 PST 2002

Christian,

There is an PhotoShop Epson Twain driver for 10.2 which I am using
successfully.  It is a development version and is hard to find on
their site.  The driver they display prominently on their site for OS
X does not work.  If you decide to get the 2450, I can probably guide
you to the correct TWAIN driver.

My 2450 also included Silverfast, which I have not gotten to work.
The folks at Lasersoft sent me a new driver which may work, but
according to Lasersoft requires 10.2.2.  I have not updated to 10.2.2
because I have no compelling reason to do so and there are some
significant (to me) unresolved problem reports.

Vuescan 7.5.5 also works with this configuration.

I've also never gotten the Epson Smart Panel to work, but I haven't
tried very earnestly, since I have found that such
manufacturer-labeled software is often not worthwhile.  I prefer to
do all my scanning directly into PhotoShop.

I have never used the "scan" button (actually called the Start button
in the Epson manual). According to the manual, the button opens the
Smart Panel by default and can be programmed to launch one of the
"Smart Panel Applications".  I haven't tried that either.

Cheers!
Charles