[Ti] purchase help

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue Apr 1 07:31:07 PST 2003

>I am looking to buy a used Powerbook G4. I am between the 500MHz one and the
>550MHz. What are do you all think? I know one main thing is that the 550 Moves
>into ATI Radeon graphics card. Is quartz extreme on with that
>machine? What are
>some other pros and cons?

Not sure about the spec, but you can find that in Apple's online TIL.
Quartz Extreme requires a minimum of 32mb of video RAM, which the 500
does not have.

On a side note, beware of buying portable computer's on eBay, et al.
Among my close friends we have purchased 4 and only the one that was
close enough for me to drive to pick up and inspect was in the
condition described on eBay.  All others required repairs that
averaged $200.  Ebay's guarantee/insurance is maxed out at $200 so
you are on your own, unless you use a credit card (not PayPal).

I highly recommend SmallDog.com for refurbs and used computers. They
are very honest and reputable; clearly identify what type of computer
you are getting (used, open box, refurb, etc); and are really nice
folks to work with.

Of course, ignore all this if you are buying it from someone you know ;-)
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com