[Ti] Screen Savers last night...

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 1 11:15:04 PST 2003

According to Michael Bigley:

>Can't recall where I read this (came over a Watson/Meerkat
>newsfeed), but adding substance to that rumor is that OSX will only
>run on the new Itanium chip, to prevent Pentium users from reverse
>engineering the OS.  It fits with Jobs' "new and whizzy" approach to
>things; also the article noted that since Apple pulled the clone
>agreement with Motorola, there has been bad blood, hence the G5 chip
>being over a year and a half late on projected release; Motorola has
>also been slow in producing chips which has caused some production
>wrinkles in current Apple lines... not sure about the IBM version.

Nobody is using Itaniums... they cost three grand apiece right
now...what would that make an iMac, uh, how much? I figure the
low-end would move out of taiwan at about 4100 US.. sound like a
smart move? And what about heat? Even a scaled-down chip from Intel
would involve tremendous heat, and heat kills performance, all in the
name of misleading CPU 'speed'. Bad idea, there's enough Dells out in
the dorms doing double-duty as hot plates, already.

Apple, from the look of it, has used a devoted base, and
higher-priced hardware to subsidize software engineering... what
happens to the cash cow when people can run a $130 OS on a lowest
common denominator Intel box? here's a hint: First, they'll need a
support call center the size of Bombay to field all the probs with
cheap PCs... and the Apple name will go down, down, down.

A history of a few marketing blunders is no justification for another
one. Motorola has shifted back to its cash cow, namely
microprocessors for phones, so they're out... i expect to see the new
IBMs in new Apples, by MacWorld SF  [assuming there is a Macworld SF,
of course]

The idea is so lame, they'd have to bring back that Pepsi guy to get it going.

That toad, what's his name/ Dvorak, that's the one.. he likes this
idea... if that doesn't expose it as a lamebrainer, nothing will.

Although, after screwing around in the wintel world, I can't blame
them for wanting a real OS on their boxes. Their just going to have
to buy a Mac... simple.

~flipper