[Ti] Screen Savers last night...

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Tue Apr 1 15:49:13 PST 2003

At 2:15 PM -0500 4/1/03, b wrote:

>Apple, from the look of it, has used a devoted base, and
>higher-priced hardware to subsidize software engineering... what
>happens to the cash cow when people can run a $130 OS on a lowest
>common denominator Intel box? here's a hint: First, they'll need a
>support call center the size of Bombay to field all the probs with
>cheap PCs... and the Apple name will go down, down, down.

Apple switching to Intel processors does not necessarily mean that
Mac OS would run on generic PC clones.  There is much more to a
hardware platform than just what CPU in uses.

My guess is that they don't switch, or at least not completely.  Too
much risk.  Too much work.  Maybe they would put both the Intel and
PowerPC processors in.

Here are a couple of other ideas.  Maybe Intel is going license and
start building PowerPCs.  Maybe Intel is going to buy Motorola's
semiconductor unit.  Maybe Steve is just hanging with the Intel boys
to keep Motorola and IBM on their toes.

      Sherman