[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 3 01:22:14 PST 2003

According to Chris and Cheryl:

>Hooked to a DSL modem, your Ti is more than likely using pppoe to
>get an address, dns server, and default gateway.

Exactly

>In Windows, right click the "network places" icon and select
>"properties".  Right click the "local area connection icon" and
>select "properties" (VPC emulates an Intel NIC).  Select TCP/IP,
>then click the properties. If you set "Obtain An IP Address
>Automatically" windows will use DHCP to get an address. Do not set a
>gateway or any other settings. Windows should get an address from
>the VPC emulator and use NAT to use your Mac's connection to the
>internet.
>--
>Chris

Following your trail through the prefs, I see the NIC, TCP/IP was
selected, properties showed that it was already set for "Obtain An IP
Address Automatically", and showed "DHCP Enabled". There was no
additional setting by me.

I saw that it showed an IP starting with 192.xxx.xxx.xx  and the
Internet Connect of the Mac, itself, showed an IP starting with
64.xx.xx.xx  So, with the Windows network activity window, showing
bytes sent and received, open, I launched a mail.yahoo.com page
request in IE, saw 2,000+ bytes sent...Zero received, and got the, by
now, familiar "That page could not be reached, not on this server, or
there is no Internet connection enabled, would you like to go to
network settings?"

I am at a total loss, and i take it, from your response, that the
"Sockets Shared Networking" setting is no longer the default, or even
PART OF the VPC 6 setup. That's really too bad, because, moments
before sending this, i launched win2k with VPC 5.0.4 and it
auto-connected the same Drive Image to the Web, with DNS and numeric
'page addresses', flawlessly. not as elegant as VPC 6, but works just
fine.. faster refreshes on screen also.

as i only have a couple of days before a Chargeback/Stop payment on
Visa will be too late, I'll simply trash VPC 6.0.1 and roll with 5. I
know when I'm beat, and I am beat [as opposed to beaten].

Thanks for your help, it was more concise than Connectix support.
They wanted me to set Virtual Switch, put a router in between the
modem  and the Mac [yeah right] and a few other 'ideas', none of
which helped even slightly.  VPC 5 hit a 'flaky' over-loaded web
site, instantaneously, and opened all frames, links, animated gif
deals, at the same time... so what choice would I have except to go
with what works?

The only thing I wish was different, with 5.0.4, would be the
inability to delegate more VRAM to it. it is set at 4MB, whereas VPC
6 introduced the 4 - 16 MB switching. Not worth going ape over.

~flipper

P.S. Maybe the disastrous 'update' from VPC 5 to 6, is what got
Microsoft all hot to trot to buy Connectix?  <laughs>