[Ti] Undeleteable folder

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu Apr 3 06:50:34 PST 2003

At 22:47 -0500 2-4-2003, Gary Keller wrote:
>OS X 10.2
>
>I have a folder that I cannot find any way to delete it. I have
>tried every trick I can think of but the system still gives the
>error that the folder cannot be deleted because it is in use. All
>the files are gone out of it, there is no program running except the
>system,
>
>What gives? Any thought on what is going on?

Gary - I cannot explain at a root technical detail what is going on,
but I have from time to time (much less with Jaguar) seen this.
Either I cannot delete, or I cannot copy, the file/folder (often my
iDisk is involved), because it is "in use".

I now use Cocktail to delete these kinds of files, if you can get
them in the Trash.  Under the Cocktail menu "Misc" is a "Force Empty
Trash" function.  It always seems to do the trick.

I have also found a work-round (at least for the file copying
problem): enclose the file/folder in a new folder, and everything
works fine.

An alternative option (someone else already mentioned it) is to
re-boot in OS9, and delete in that environment (never fails,
according to my memory).

regards,  Trevor