[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 3 11:12:04 PST 2003

According to Chris Olson:

>>On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 11:51 AM, b wrote:
>>>
>>>Well, that is exactly the way my setup, in VPC 6 is,and the bytes
>>>go out, but the 'returns' don't come in. All internet activity
>>>comes to a halt, waiting for pages that never arrive
>
>I just tried it, and the Shared Networking works fine.  I set Win 2K
>to get an address via DHCP.  It got an address of 192.168.131.71
>with a default gateway of 192.168.131.254.  I switched my PowerBook
>from static to DHCP on our network (which is basically the same as
>pppoe in that you get a dynamic address).  On our network, my Ti
>still has a private address of 192.168.1.231, which is masqueraded
>thru two more routers before it hits the outside world with a public
>IP.  So if it works under my situation, there should be no problem
>with your setup.  I think it's a Windows XP problem.  Remember that
>XP is pretty brain dead when it comes to networking.  If it
>encounters something a little out of the ordinary it borks the whole
>setup.  That's the price you pay for an operating system that tries
>to do everything for you and doesn't give you access to the nuts and
>bolts of what makes it work.
>
>In Win XP, type cmd at the run prompt to get a shell - you can run
>netstat /a and ipconfig to see what you're getting for a network
>setup under DHCP.  Windows XP likes to "phone home" when you fire it
>up too - if it can't contact Microsoft's database when it thinks
>it's on a network where it can, it'll have other problems too,
>especially like search features taking forever to complete.
>
>The other thing to consider is how are your firewalls configured in
>OS X and Windows XP?  Have you looked at those settings?

Well, there's a few things to look at. Win2k also doesn't connect for
me in VPC 6.

They both connect fine in VPC 5. So, how could the internal net
settings, in 'Saved" Drive images, be at fault, when both images
connect instantaneously when relaunched in VPC 5 ??? I mean, one of
the first things Windows, any config, any OS does, on launch, is: Set
networking, and then Load personal settings...  This seems to
suggest, to me, that the vastly different result in operation is in
the emulator, not the 'guest'.

I already monitored incoming/outgoing traffic in both setups, using
both OS sets... same deal.. as more page calls were made, the
outgoing bytes increased dramatically, yet the incoming traffic
stopped around 1270 bytes, until it was obvious that the VPC 6 setup
was not going to work. And all the while it reported itself as being
DHCP Enabled, using Shared networking.

As I said, the only apparent difference was the "Sockets Shared
networking" 'default', in VPC 5.0.4 and since i don't have Airport
Extreme, a known 'killer' conflict with XP in VPC, there's nothing to
do at this point.

In addition to the netdump, I used run to do a config release, etc,
and the release and re-setup made no difference, either.

XP is a dog, Chris, i agree. But VPC 6 bills itself as 'optimized'
for the NT-based OS. optimized? broken seems more accurate. as i said
i am grateful for help, and still have the XP installer AND the
service Pack 1 updater AND the Q-patch from MS to undo some of the
slowness in the xpsp1_x86 'upgrade'... all safely tucked away on the
CDs. I'm okay with Win2k pro, no question, to my experience it's lean
and mean compared to XP.

~flipper