[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu Apr 3 11:58:26 PST 2003

At 12:29 -0600 3-4-2003, Chris Olson wrote:

>>However in VPC 6, the only options I get are "Shared Network" and
>>"Virtual Switch". The setting recommended by Chris, and others
>>[including Connectix support] is Shared networking,

that is how mine is set up

>>with "TCP/IP set to 'Obtain IP from host' [in different terms],
>>'DHCP Enabled'.

I have never checked nor changed this

>>Well, that is exactly the way my setup, in VPC 6 is,and the bytes
>>go out, but the 'returns' don't come in. All internet activity
>>comes to a halt, waiting for pages that never arrive.
>
>Hmmmm...... obviously NAT works in VPC 6 if Trevor is using it.  I
>have the capability to simulate a DSL connection on our LAN.  When I
>get time to do that, I intend to explore further why you could be
>having problems with the shared networking.

Internet Explorer or Netscape work fine in VPC6, exactly as Safari
does in OS X, all at the same time, except of course that VPC6 is
much slower.

I continue to be amazed at how seamlesss the whole operation is.

HOWEVER, I am trying to install the driver for a Thumbdrive (USB
storage device) under W98, and it has taken me about 2 hours and I am
still no further forward ........  I am doing this because there is
no X driver, and I thought that it would be really neat if I could
use the device under VPC, instead of having to stop everything and
reboot in OS( (for which there is a driver, installed in about 10
seconds!)

regards,  Trevor