[Ti] Sleep/wake problem

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Thu Apr 3 13:32:00 PST 2003

How many beeps?  The beeps should match the number of flashes plus one
longer flash; there will be one long flash, then a number of shorter
flashes; the shorter flashes are what should match the beeps.  If there
are 1 to 3 beeps, it's probably a problem with your RAM, something that
I would suspect even without knowing you had the beeps.  My best guess
is that you purchased whatever RAM was cheapest at the time, and now
you're paying the price.  My personal recommendation for quite some
time now has been Crucial, aka Micron (Crucial is the consumer sales
division of Micron; Micron manufactures the chips.  I don't know of any
other major good fabricators that sell their RAM directly to customers).

Anyway, the first thing to try is to test your computer with only half
the RAM at a time; take out one DIMM, run it for a while, then swap
DIMMs.  See if you can narrow the problem down to one or the other.
Alternatively (and the best option if possible), reinstall the RAM that
the computer shipped with from the factory (or leave it in if it's one
of the two sticks that's currently in there) and remove all 3rd party
RAM to see if the problem goes away.

However, if you are hearing 4 or 5 beeps, it could very possibly be a
fried logic board.  Hope you have AppleCare (or are still under
warranty) if replacing the RAM doesn't fix things...  ;-)

Joseph Fisher <kzfisher at earthlink.net> writes:
> (Specs are: 800 MHz/1 GB RAM/ 60 GB HD - running OS X. 10.2.4)
>
> After putting it to sleep, on occasion it will not wake when the lcd is
> opened and gives me a quick bright flashing lcd sleep indicator with an
> accompanying series of beeps. (almost like an SOS signal!) I have to
> hold
> down the power and restart. On two occasions I did this and got the
> familiar
> Mac start-up tone but the system did not boot? The system is babied
> traveling in a protected case from my home office desk to my office
> desktop,
> it's never been dropped or abused.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com