[Ti] another VPC nightmare brewing

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Thu Apr 3 17:19:03 PST 2003

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 05:55 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 01:12 PM, b wrote:
>>
>> They both connect fine in VPC 5. So, how could the internal net
>> settings, in 'Saved" Drive images, be at fault, when both images
>> connect instantaneously when relaunched in VPC 5 ??? I mean, one of
>> the first things Windows, any config, any OS does, on launch, is: Set
>> networking, and then Load personal settings...  This seems to
>> suggest, to me, that the vastly different result in operation is in
>> the emulator, not the 'guest'.
>
> I'm sure it is.  I don't know how "Shared Sockets" works on the
> technical end, but I do know how NAT works (maybe it's the same thing
> with different terminology - I don't know).

OK, I admit I'm not a Windows type of guy, but I did a little quick
research on "Shared Sockets".  Not even close to NAT - with NAT, the
router (in this case, your Ti running VPC) checks the routing table to
see if it has an entry for the destination address from the stub
domain.  If it does, the NAT router then translates the packet and
creates an entry for it in the address translation table.  If the
destination address is not in the routing table, the packet is dropped.

Shared Sockets is a Winsock v2 API.  I'm guess your problem is not with
VirtualPC - it's with the Windows drivers for the emulated network
interface, and possibly due to some carry over problems from VPC 5.0 in
the saved images, or maybe proxy settings or something being
incompatible.  If I knew more about Shared Sockets, I could probably be
more clear.  In any case, I would try totally uninstalling the network
devices in Windows, then reboot Windows and let it redetect the
interface and reinstall it.  Do the full reboot - don't attempt to save
image state or reinstall on the fly.  Even this does not guarantee
success.  Windows is quite brain dead when it thinks it knows what the
proper driver is for a piece of hardware, even if that driver is wrong.
  I've installed NIC's in the past in a Windows box, and Windows
installs the wrong driver.  Then uninstall the device in Device
Manager, reinstall it and try to tell Windows what the right driver is,
and it *still* insists on installing the wrong driver because it has it
stored in it's driver database.

I really think it's a Windows problem, because VirtualPC 6.0 works for
both me and Trevor using the Shared Networking (NAT) option, and it
works for Trevor with the same setup you have there (your Ti hooked
directly to a DSL modem).
--
Chris