1GHz 15in resolution Q

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Fri Apr 4 17:13:38 PST 2003

I have just added a 1Gig 15in TiBook to my collection (others are 550 and
667MHz) and I'm a bit flummoxed by the resolution which appears to be
optimal at 1280x854 because text (finder labels, menu text all set to
Geneva 10) looks ultra black, grainy and gruesome at any other resolution -
so bad that I can't imagine that anyone could put up with it. There's a
fistful of "recommended" resolutions in the monitors control panel but as
far as I can see all but one are virtually unusable - or am I supposed to
change font size every time?

I initially got confused because at the optimal resolution, the desktop
picture was distinctly pixellated - until I discovered that Apple had only
provided desktop images at another resolution (from memory, 1152x768). When
I resized them to 1280x854, they displayed properly. But if 1280x854 is
indeed the optimal resolution (indeed a new Os 9.2.2 installation defaults
to it) why would Apple make the ugly mistake of supplying wrongly sized
desktop pictures?

On the plus side, I must say that the new machine has a much brighter
screen than the 550 or 667 - and more importantly a greatly improved
viewing angle without the disconcerting blowing out of colours at many
viewing angles which is a big aggravation on both the 550 and 667.

A negative is that on the 1GHz model, Apple don't offer the HD upgrade to
5400rpm which I got with the 667 so some of the speed ehancement is lost in
read/write actions. Has anyone found a third party 5400rpm drive to fit in
this model? TIA.

Simon