[Ti] 80 GB HD warnings

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Sat Apr 5 08:38:53 PST 2003

>At 11:30 PM -0800 2003.04.04, Paul Russell wrote:
>
>>>So there appears to be some volume size limitation, and it applies
>>>to both TiBooks and Big Als.
>>
>>Interesting - 64Gb is 36 bits, which seems an unlikely number at
>>which to have some sort of limitation, but who knows ? I thought
>>HFS+ was all 64 bit, but maybe it's something more subtle than that
>>?
>
>Well, it's possible that the volume size limitation is only in a
>driver bug or in the installer itself, the one that came with my Big
>Al's.
>
>Anyway, I plan to install over and over until I can narrow down the
>size that works. Maybe I'll start with 64 GB. Obviously, 80 GB
>drives work fine in towers.

I've just had a further thought about this - some members of the 74xx
family, e.g. the 7455, have a 36 bit physical address space. I wonder
if there's some sort of issue with mapping VM address space or
something similar ? If that were the case then I'd expect a non-boot
partition > 64 Gb to work OK.

See <http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7455>.

Paul