[Ti] Windows Media 9 in digital cinemas

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Mon Apr 7 06:38:20 PDT 2003

>I know this is a little off-topic, but I was wondering what list
>members make of the announcement that a chain of digital cinemas
>will be using the Windows Media 9 format for movie distribution. Is
>this a setback for MPEG4 and QuickTime?

I doubt it. This is a process that would be done post-editing.
Millions of people who are using Quicktime, including the hundreds,
if not thousands, who are using it and Final Cut Pro to
professionally produce digital movies, are not going to be swayed to
learn a new skill set because one chain is making a bad choice.

Besides, after their Windoze systems are hacked a few dozen times
because of the security holes in the OS, the company will probably
fold anyway ;-)
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com