[Ti] "I'm Emptying the Trash now, Dave"

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Fri Apr 11 04:17:06 PDT 2003

The OS X finder is poor. It would have worked a lot better as a Cocoa
application, but Apple had its reasons for making it Carbon. They
needed a major Carbon application to sort of drive the development and
bug-fixing of the Carbon environment - to make sure it was usable for
other major applications such as Adobe's.

Lets hope Apple reverses that in Panther and makes Finder a truly
multi-threaded, multi-user, Services-friendly, integrated Cocoa
application.

But anyway, why do you care how long time it takes to empty the trash?
It's a modeless window! You don't need to sit there watching the barber
pole. You should go do something else and let the system get on with
it. Being able to multitask in your mind is one of the most important
steps to using Mac OS X instead of OS 9. In OS 9 we got used to sitting
silently waiting for Photoshop to launch. Now we can use that time to
do something half-useful, such as check the mail, empty the trash or
clean up the desktop!

/ Rgds, David