[Ti] "I'm Emptying the Trash now, Dave" - not seen

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 11 09:27:16 PDT 2003

According to Obrecht, Jerry A:

>There are many reasons why an OS 10.2 machine could be seeming to
>run slowly, or start slowly.  As Loren, mentions, lack of free hard
>drive space is one of the typical culprits: unix operating systems
>love (ie: NEED) lots of free drive space.  Without it, they bog-down.
>
>BTW, maybe this dialog box from HAL pops-up only when the system is
>slowed-down for some reason (like lack of free drive space).  I have
>never seen that dialog on my Powerbook, which runs pretty quickly.
>
>Jerry

I run 25 - 40 % free drive space on all partitions and drives,
regular Directory rebuilds, a gigabyte of RAM that tests to specs,
..etc.

People who drag things to trash, rather than use keyboard commands,
which happen quickly, won't notice the latency. Too many people have
responded  on and off list for this to be isolated.

The Finder is a carbon app surrounded by OSX Cocoa native apps on my
setup. what's it doing in there? being nostalgic for 68k emulation
days?   And what does simple memory block allocation have to do with
free disk space?

Remember, friend, that dragging to trash isn't "moving" anything, all
it is really, is adding the allocation blocks back to 'free' memory.
The free drive space has zero to do with it.

~flipper