[Ti] Better Battery Power was [Anyone loaded 10.2.5 yet? Any issues?]

XXL xxl at mac.com
Mon Apr 14 03:14:42 PDT 2003

Retrospect writes the files contiguously when it does the backup. Then
writes them contiguously when you restore.  If your disk is highly
fragmented the backup takes a lot longer than the restore because it is
reading them from their various locations on your disc and writing them in
one piece to the backup.

I have found that the Retrospect strategy is hours and hours faster than
Plus Optimizer (Which is all I have nowadays).  Though both can run
unattended.

But your point that many mistakenly believe disc de-fragmentation is
unnecessary in OS X is certainly true.  The recommended disc format of OS X
is identical to OS 9 - HFS Plus. It needs periodic de-fragmentation to
perform at top efficiency.