[Ti] Safari Beta 2 doesn't start from dock?

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Mon Apr 14 14:01:16 PDT 2003

Bob Jacobsen typed this message on 4/14/03 1:46 PM:

> I used the download page to get a .dmg for the new Safari beta, then
> dragged it to my applications folder.  (I'd previously dragged the
> old one to the trash, and dragged it's icon out of the dock).  If I
> click on the Safari icon in the Finder, it starts up fine.
>
> I also dragged its icon to the dock, but it crashes when I click on
> the dock icon.  The crash is quite prompt, and before Safari shows
> anything on the screen.  It seems to momentarily put a second Safari
> icon at the end of the 1st section of the dock, as if it was
> launching another program.  I've never seen this when launching the
> old one; usually the icon just bounces a little.
>
> Anybody else seeing this?  Any ideas on how to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If I were you I'd get rid of all copies and versions of Safari (not just put
them in the trash, but empty the trash as well).

Then I'd drag the Dock prefs file out of the Preferences folder to the
Desktop (don't trash it until and unless you are sure this is the problem).
The file is found at:
/Users/Yourname/Library/Preferences/com.apple.com.dock.plist
You will now have to reset all your dock preferences and drag the items you
want back into the dock including Safari.

If this solves the issue, just trash the preference file on the desktop.

jg