[Ti] Better Battery Power was [Anyone loaded 10.2.5 yet? Any issues?]

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 23:34:03 PDT 2003

According to Michael Bigley:

>>  And, last but not least, many apps work perfectly well without
>>their 'added-in' items that show up in 'Login Items', also in Sys
>>Prefs.
>
>I tried deleting all login items but no change in time
>

>>Also, and i cannot stress enough, even a 'light', or
>>'moderate'-rated amount of disk fragmentation will slow down boot
>>times. Always. no exceptions. My restarts and 'cold' boots are, on
>>average, 20 to 25% faster after defragging. For a file system, OSX,
>>that sports a 'myth' that fragmentation 'isn't an issue', I have to
>>wonder, based on consistent, real-world results.
>
>I suppose this could be an issue, the finder could be trying to wade
>through a bunch of fragged files; I will post this question on the
>OSX Tech list to see if someone can give me a rational explanation
>of why OSX or the Finder does not handle the UNIX defragmentation
>process properly.

Glad to hear that the GlobalPrefs business shaved a minute off boot time.

Perhaps you could do a verbose boot/  Just hit Command-V on reboot or
startup, and wait,the screen goes black and scrolls like a madman,
but should log the items that are having to be re-polled, or showing
as "couldn't access", etc. Food for thought. it's too bad that the
verbosity [as it were] isn't available from Logon to Finder full-op
status.

I would trash all Finder and SystemPrefs, and try again. Do a fsck -y
boot [Cmd-S] and if there was any repair by the internal file check,
run fsck -y again, until XXXX Appears to be okay" shows up.

I had similar lengthy Finder probs [very slow drawing of Menu, or
slow mounting of desktop picture + , etc. At one point i booted into
OS 9 and did a search for all DS_Stores files [thousands, as many as
you have volumes and the folders in them, and trashed the whole lot.
The next boot was slow, and the one following: rapid, as it should
be. There are many low-ramification 'fixes' that will, in some combo,
fix the system. I say low-ramification, meaning zero -to very low
'attrition'.

~flipper