[Ti] (OT) OSX Linuxbaserad?

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Tue Apr 15 04:04:32 PDT 2003

I'm following an online course in basic knowledge of Firewall handling.
It covering mostly PC but Mac appeared with  a statement that OSX was
Linux based. When one of the fellow students questioned that statement
the tutor answered
<quote>
Jaguar (OS X) version kernal is under the GNU public license, so it's
fair to say the kernal is Linux based. </quote>
I assume he is right to the fact that that the kernal is under GNU but
does that justify the conclusion that it is Linux based? I have simply
thought it as UNIX-based and I don't care either way I'm just a bit
surprised and would like to know if you agree with the tutor or not?
Thank you for your insights.

Lisbeth in Gotheburg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/Current_picturers/
PhotoAlbum53.html> Spring 030331