[Ti] (OT) OSX Linuxbaserad?

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Tue Apr 15 04:24:50 PDT 2003

Lisbeth,

Both of his statements were incorrect. The Mac OS X kernel is NOT GNU
licensed (it is BSD licensed). In fact, Mac OS X includes very little
GNU code (because of the licensing issues). Had the kernel been GNU
licensed, then it would have been problematic for Apple to keep parts
of the operating system closed source.

Mac OS X is based on the BSD flavour of UNIX. The reference platform is
FreeBSD (used to be NetBSD). There are many similarities between BSD
and Linux but there are also many differences. BSD is a Unix system
with very old roots (since the seventies) while Linux is "younger" and
was founded in the nineties. Both are very mature operating systems by
now.

Mac OS X is a bit different from other common BSD's in another way. It
uses a Mach kernel, because of its NeXT heritage.

It should be noted that neither Mac OS X nor Linux are actually real
Unices. But that is mainly because they haven't payed for the
validation by the Open Group which owns the UNIX trademark.

One of the differences is that FreeBSD and Mac OS X both use ipfw as
the firewall (which should be particularly interesting in this case). I
believe the most common Linux firewall is ipchains.

/ Sincerely, David Remahl