[Ti] [OT] Microsoft Office : PC versus Mac (1st tests)

William Scammell wscamel at pop.ici.net
Tue Apr 15 12:18:34 PDT 2003

>Paul - thanks to you and everyone else for their input on this
>issue. I ran some tests today with my friend, with mixed results.
>
>Many of his Word documents have embedded Excel files in them, and Word Tables.
>Once his files had been over email to my Ti-500 [see, it is on
>topic....  :-)  ]. opened and looked at by me in Office X, and back
>to his PC via email, he said that the format of the tables and Excel
>files was changed.
>
>This was a new issue to me, as I never embed Excel files myself,
>I always make a Copy-for-Print (Shift, Copy) of the Excel file or
>selection thereof, which I then paste in to Word as a graphic.
>Then there is no associated 'format' to lose, nor can anyone change
>the numbers.....

he's imbedding a live file, via ODBC (iirc), so when he updates the
excel file, it automagically gets updated in his word doc the next
time he opens it.

it's a neat capability.

try this --

have him send you the excel file as well, and then you'll have to
link to your copy of the excel file on your machine.

William Scammell                     Creative Director
wscamel @ pop.ici.net                  781-956-3548

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.