[Ti] Startup time revisited

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue Apr 22 09:36:53 PDT 2003

>>Create a location, turn off all of the ports (modem, ethernet, IR),
>>and restart. Just a thought, not very computerific...
>
>that's what I would do to debug this also...

Thanks for these suggestions, however I have confirmed that the start
up issue is specific to my current user by both logging in as root
and creating a new user. Both start up in the normal ~1.5 minutes.  I
have deleted and recreated network settings in the current user with
no apparent change.

>Do you normally use a PPP connection for your network connectivity?

No, only when I travel... there is nothing plugged into the ethernet
port and currently I have Airport turned off and I am connecting thru
hard wire enet. I have a network setting that only has enet as an
option.

>FWIW the first chapter of the book "Mac OS C for Unix Geeks"
>(o'reilly) is devoted to the startup process. I haven't taken a look
>at it yet, so I have no idea if it is any use...

This may be helpful, but I have determined that there are two steps
to the start-up process:
- From the startup chime to log-in: this process is extremely fast
and definitely improved in jag.5 (~ 1.25 minutes)

- Post-login (Finder-related); this is the process that takes
painfully long for me, and according to the console, where the
PPPExec attempts are made as well as a number of Windowserver errors
occur. From the time my desktop backgrounds appear to the time I have
total access to the finder is well over 2 minutes, sometimes
approaching 3 minutes.

I have deleted numerous finder, system and network prefs with
virtually no change in start up time, but lots of reseting of
preferences ;-)

I have zapped pram, fixed permissions, ran fsck -y to no avail.

The Finder is definitely hosed as the nice white "aqua" menu bar at
the top of the screen doesn't draw until the very end of this long
process; IOW, all the menu icons are drawn on the desktop background
until the Finder finally decides to show up.

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com