Lemon from the Apple Tree?

Joseph Fisher kzfisher at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 19:47:53 PDT 2003

Is anyone besides me beginning to question the reliability of the TiBook at
least the 15" family?

Either I got the one lemon from the Apple tree or the 15" TiBook has got to
be the most fragile notebook out there. August of last year I purchased my
15" PowerBook G4 DVI and today it's in the shop AGAIN. I am writing this on
my G3 Lombard which I think I could drop kick and it would keep on ticking.

My TiBook has been babied more than any notebook I've ever owned (540C, Duo
280, Duo 2300,& Lombard to name a few) Within a year of purchase the Ti's
paint began to bubble then the left screen hinge just snapped. I immediately
contacted Apple and to Apple's credit they repaired it within a week.

Recently I shared my latest woes with the list. Thanks for the replies. Most
of you said "sounds like the logic board" so I took it to the Tampa Apple
store. The verdict; "seems like it's the logic board."

Yesterday began the second week of the third repair. The Apple care site
reports the ominous words "hold - awaiting parts". A call today said two to
three days before repair restarts. Looks like three weeks plus. At least at
this point Apple will soon have replaced my TiBook one part at a time :)

Perhaps Apple has addressed the problems with the 12" & 17" and the promised
new 15".

Here's hoping the rest of you have better luck with your TiBooks.

J Fisher