[Ti] Best price for Applecare?

Bill Reburn reburn at mts.net
Wed Apr 23 12:56:51 PDT 2003

On 4/22/03 7:06 PM, "Robert Nicholson" <robert at elastica.com> wrote:

> If you talk to Apple they'll tell you that they changed their policy
> and do in fact recognise Applecare coverage at least for Laptops
> globally. So, are you saying that bit about "not valid in any other
> country pertains to the product Apple would sell you or just the one
> from Smalldog?

I think often those terms are a little over the top, but I believe you are
right. Coverage (repairs) for laptops is somewhat "global" Laptops can be
brought in to almost any service centre.. But you have to be careful where
or who you actually buy the AppleCare pckge from. When you buy it from some
shops, they send you the box with all the goodies, you then call Apple and
activate it. You can't for example purchase a cheaper AppleCare in the US
and then call AppleCare Canada and activate it. The actual product (I guess
determined by serial#?) needs to be purchased carefully. You can also call
Apple or some shops locally and they will autoactivate your regionally
appropriate service from anywhere.

The "not valid in other countries" part pertains to products purchased from
SD. Sure I can buy it from SD from Canada, but I would not be able to pop
down to a local shop - it must be sent back to them.The AppleCare I bought
in Canada enables me to have repairs done just about anywhere.

AppleCare isn't just 'coverage'. It is an actual item that gets sent to you
in a nice little red box, with a product number and serial number, just like
anything else Apple sells. Before I bought mine, I mistakingly thought it
was just a sort of 'insurance', you calll them, give them the CC# and you're
done. Just like insurance, I can't buy cheap insurance from one state, to
have coverage in another. SD's scenario is that if something breaks, you
send it to them and then your coverage is good.

That¹s how I see it anyway.

Bill Reburn
Associate Member of the
Society of Graphic Designers of Canada