[Ti] Frisco (ick!) was: xray machine safe for Powerbook?

Sam Hotchkiss ti at zlit.net
Fri Apr 25 09:56:33 PDT 2003

On 4/25/03 10:42 AM, "Tarik Bilgin" <tarik at opalblue.com> wrote:

> well in the song he left his home in Georgia and headed for the frisco
> bay ...
>
> makes sense since he wasn't a local :)
>
> do you say "ess eff" (SF) when you are speaking then?

I usually say "san francisco" yep, straight up, all 4 syllables-- but I
decided to consult the experts on this, :

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?lastnode_id=510789&node_id=538126
"I try to explain to people that hearing "Frisco" or "San Fran", or seeing
it on a t-shirt , sounds like fingernails scraping on a blackboard to a
resident.  Ack.  Stop it please.  I usually get one of two reactions to my
request.  One is "Oh I will now intentionally call it those names at every
possible opportunity, just to annoy you ."  The other reaction is " Well,
what do you call it, then? " which I will attempt to answer now.
    1)  The City .  This is most common if you're in Silicon Valley .  It
may seem ambiguous, but what other city could it be referring to? Oakland
?San Jose ?  Hah.  We laugh at those places, much like New Yorkers laugh at,
uh, every other city in the world.  (Admittedly, this is probably because of
ignorance of those places.  I haven't been to San Jose in almost 2 years.)
    2)  The name of the neighborhood you're going to .  This is more common
among SF residents.  It is a smaller city than many , but personalities of
San Francisco neighborhoods vary widely.  Try "Gonna grab a burrito in the
Mission " or "Meet you at Tart to Tart in the Sunset ".
    3)  SF is OK in text.  Sometimes I use the airport code, SFO .
    4)  If the full name " San Francisco " is used, at least get rid of the
assonance in the 2nd word.  Shorten the "a" in "Francisco"; say "San
Frinn-ciss-co" or "San Francis-co" but not "San Fraaaann-cisco".  Except if
you're Frank Sinatra ; the chairman can sing it his way .
Okay, now that I've explained it, you can resume calling it San Fran to
intentionally annoy me, while wearing the glitter y "Frisco" t-shirt you
bought at Fisherman's Wharf , and hanging off of the cable car with the huge
line of tourists also waiting to take the cable car, preventing its use as
public transportation by actual residents.  But it's okay, cause I'll laugh
my ass off when you try to make a left turn off of Market, and hunt for
street parking near Union Square ."

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?lastnode_id=510789&node_id=510789

"NOBODY in who lives in the Bay Area calls San Francisco "Frisco ". Only
some lame *censored* tourists who want to sound local say Frisco and
everybody who lives here knows that. We call it The City , *censored*! If
you say "Frisco" to a local, they will know you're a poser ."

"Emperor Norton once proclaimed "Whoever after due and proper warning shall
be heard to utter the abominable word 'Frisco,' which has no linguistic or
other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor."
The penalty for this crime was $25, which in that day was a whole lot, since
even today, it's no laughing matter ."

--
Samuel W. Hotchkiss
President, Contractor Services, LLC.
hotch at zlit.net

Laptop History: PB 145, PB 520c, PB 3400c, 400mhz Pismo, 400mhz TiBook,
667mhz TiBook (rev b), 1ghz TiBook