[Ti] [Was}xray machine safe for Powerbook?[OT] SF

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 15:34:11 PDT 2003

Tarik Bilgin paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>sorry had no idea flipper.
>
>do you prefer SF?
>
>or san fran?
>
>what's derogatory about it out of interest?
>
>I think I got that name from Otis Redding's Sitting on the dock of the bay.
>
>also another curious note -- the development webserver here is
>called frisco :)

Hi Tarik,

It's funny, but in all my life I've always heard it referred to as
The City. In a way that LA would never be, same for Chicago, or New
York City. I would imagine that gold miners started calling it
'Frisco', but I could be wrong. For those who were born there it has
always been a real 'outsiders' term. I didn't take your perfectly
benign reference personally, I only pointed out the 'nature' of the
word so that you could avoid it. I think a visit to the City would
probably explain everything.

When I was young [around 7 or 8, my family visited their closest
friends in the east bay, and even then, when we'd be returning,
coming back from through the Oakland/Berkeley Hills, the first sight
of the City, across the Bay, just sitting there, was amazing to me.
It's terribly hard to explain.

As for dear, lost Otis, he had a way of saying frisco that didn't
seem at all out of touch with his humane, soulful being. I had
tickets to see him headline the New year's Eve show at the Winterland
[a hockey rink that Bill Graham rented 6 nights a week, back in the
day], the year Otis died in a plane crash. I believe he died in
early-mid [?] December. The news was heartbreaking.

I'll wrap this way Off Topic thread with my assurance that i only
passed the comment to you because i knew the usage of the slang was
inadvertent. had it been otherwise, i would have ignored it. San
Francisco is a multi-syllable word that pretty well 'begs' to be
shortened, even i see that . :=)

~flipper