[Ti] [off-topic] weird word pronunciation

Sam Hotchkiss ti at zlit.net
Sat Apr 26 08:14:49 PDT 2003

On 4/26/03 9:12 AM, "William Scammell" <wscamel at pop.ici.net> wrote:

> i can only ~guess~ that the Americans changed the spelling after the
> Am. Rev. War 1776, but i don't know that for a fact.

I can jump in here... When Webster wrote the first "American" dictionary,
(1760?  I really ought to know this...) he made a number of minor changes
such as centre->center and colour->color in an effort to establish a new
written language, as a form of rebellion.

Maybe that's what they were trying to do with ebonics....

--
Samuel W. Hotchkiss
President, Contractor Services, LLC.
hotch at zlit.net

Laptop History: PB 145, PB 520c, PB 3400c, 400mhz Pismo, 400mhz TiBook,
667mhz TiBook (rev b), 1ghz TiBook