[Ti] Annoying hum

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 27 19:12:14 PDT 2003

John Griffin paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>I seem to remember an old adage about installing Stereo equipment. When
>ground hum is detected through the speakers, the first thing you should do
>is reverse the A/C plugs of the equipment one at a time. I have never found
>it to help, but try it and see...
>

>jg

They're out of phase. Plug them into the same circuit. You're hearing
that bane of musicians and recording engineers known as 60-cycle hum.
I run nearly everything in my office at home off a pair of APC boxes,
but the monitors, modems and phone lines all enter and exit the same
box, i.e. the same circuit..

~flipper
P.S. reversing the actual plugs isn't as easy these days, given the
reverse-proof nature of most N.American plugs. [size differences]