[Ti] Startup time revisited

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Sun Apr 27 22:46:27 PDT 2003

>As an update to the start up time issue we discussed; I was able to reduce my startup time to about 2.5 minutes, not what some are reporting, but a reduction of over 2 minutes.  After observing the console, and deleting the com.apple.windowserver.plist.  I still get windowserver errors, though nearly everyone reports the same, but evidently something really nasty must have been stuck in my prefs for that function.
>
>One thing that is still happening during the startup, according to Console is an attempt at PPP connection:
>
>PPPExec(PPP_STATUS) failed: status = 19
>PPPExec(PPP_STATUS) failed: status = 19
>
>It takes about 28 seconds of the start up time.  I cannot find any pref that would correct this. If anyone who understand the "guts" of OSX or Unix can give me a clue, I would appreciate it.

What is the order of the items in your Network Port Configurations?

The modem port should be listed after the AirPort (if you have it activated) which should be listed after your Ethernet port.

The computer attempts to connect with each of the ports in the order listed. You typically want to connect with the Ethernet first (if you should have a hard wire connection), then the AirPort, then the modem port. Turn off any ports that you typically would not be using.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net

Beauty lies in the hands of the beerholder.