[Ti] Ti internal modem

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue Apr 29 06:57:18 PDT 2003

>Bill - I am surprised to see you write "most people are on it" (dialup).
>Is that in fact the case?
>I moved from dialup, where I had similar agonies, to ISDN connection
>3 years ago and then to DSL late last summer.

While those of us who have switched to broadband never look back and
can't understand why the whole world isn't with us, the fact is that
statistically only about a third of net users have broadband. It is
still a dial up world (much to the chagrin of web developers).

This is not completely attributable to financial or "fear of change"
considerations. Broadband is simply not being offered to 100% of the
people; for some, it will never be available commercially because
population density doesn't warrant the providers a cost-benefit.  The
only solution for them is about $1,000 worth of equipment and
$100-130 a month for satellite service... something that is clearly
less for more.

I have been looking for a new place to live and, of course, one of my
requirements is broadband availability and I am quite surprised at
the lack of availability, even in areas that I would not classify as
rural. For example, DSL requires a maximum distance of 18,000 feet
from a switch; even in suburbs there can be "dead zones" that are
beyond that from any switch.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com