[Ti] Virtual 'artwork'...

Christopher Murphy chris at fallt.com
Tue Apr 29 07:48:12 PDT 2003

Dear David,

Sorry... You're talking to a designer (so I'm extremely interested by
the - often boring - details). If it's a GIF or a JPEG it's compressed, so a
little low resolution, but perhaps it's a better quality format.

<I don't know what the cover art format is. For images you add to your
library manually, the original dimensions and format is retained.>

But, can you export the images (and, theoretically, email them to someone
else - whole can of copyright worms there) or are they stuck inside iTunes?

If it's the latter, what happens when (heaven forbid) Apple goes belly up
and there's no iTunes anymore? Presumably there will be players capable of
playing AAC files so you'll at least get to hear the music, but will the
design and artwork be lost forever?

This is what worries me. As a freelance writer (and designer) I've just
written an article on this for US magazine E | I. Design and the music
industry are intertwined (think Miles Davis' gatefold sleeves; think The
Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band).

Are we on the cusp of losing the visual element of music?

Take care,

Christopher

http://www.fallt.com  |  info at fallt.com