[Ti] Ti internal modem

Geoff Allen geoff at wsu.edu
Tue Apr 29 08:30:51 PDT 2003

John Griffin wrote:
> Michael Bigley typed this message on 4/29/03 9:57 AM:
>
>>It is
>>still a dial up world (much to the chagrin of web developers).
>
> Maybe it is because many of us have no access to broadband connections! I
> would love to have such access but like many who have chosen to live in a
> remote rural area, there is no such thing as cable or DSL phone lines. To go
> to Satellite Broadband means I would have to switch to a Windows machine.

Same here.

I do have indoor plumbing, cable, and phone service, though. The cable
company (Adelphia) keeps promising cable modems Real Soon Now, but it
hasn't happened yet.

There's lots of DSL in the region, but I live too far from a phone switch.

So, I share a 56K connection (at least I can usually get 48-50K out of it)
between my three desktops and my Powerbook, all using an Airport Base
Station for a router to the outside world.

I download software updates at work. :-)

Geoff

--
Geoff Allen, geoff at wsu.edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>

Never tell people how to do things; Tell them what to do and they will
surprise you with their ingenuity. -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.