[Ti] weird word pronunciation (seriously OT) [OT]

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Tue Apr 29 12:08:20 PDT 2003

>...and then there are three genders, not necessarily divided nicely
>into the five
>declensions, or related to the meanings of the words, or reliably
>identified by word
>endings. Then adjective agreement (gender, case and number - not
>necessarily the same
>endings as the nouns they agree with either, if in a different
>declension), the
>conjugations with their myriad tenses, sentence meaning influenced
>by word order, the
>subjunctive, the imperative, irregular verbs (not to mention
>irregular bloody nouns
>IMHO), unpredictable adverbs, unbelievable terseness and worst of
>all, Latin idiom,
>which, although one may 'know' every single word in a Latin
>sentence, can render the
>sentence unintelligible or at the very least, ambiguous, until one
>has waded through
>simply reams and reams of original Latin written by oringinal
>Romans....have I missed
>anything, Paul?....and I study this language out of CHOICE!!!
>Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................eheu, demens sum.

Heh - that's a pretty good summary Erika. It's twenty odd years since
I studied Latin, but it's amazing how the noun declensions etc are
still hard-wired in my brain, long after more relevant and
potentially important stuff has faded away. Must be something to do
with those antiquated teaching methods - a sharp rap across the
knuckles with a wooden ruler helps to focus the mind wonderfully. ;-)

Vale,

Paulus