[Ti] AAC vs MP3 (slightly OT)

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 29 12:50:59 PDT 2003

Khyber Courchesne paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Should I just convert my mp3's to AAC, or will that result in even more
>loss?  Should I instead rip all my CD's again directly to AAC?

Re-rip, definitely. Re-importing an already-imported mp3 will not
replace or enhance whatever lossiness was involved in the first rip.
Remember VHS video tapes?  All that washed-out color on copies of
copies? It's worse where audio is concerned.

Ripping a CD to WAV, and then a256k bit rate minimum [assuming you
must have an mp3 version] is the way to go, for me. But extra
[non-built-in] drives are necessary if you collect on any scale at
all.

~flipp