[Ti] AAC vs MP3 (slightly OT)

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Tue Apr 29 23:20:58 PDT 2003

At 10:17 PM -0500 2003.04.29, JELyon wrote:

>A year or so ago I got a 120GB IDE drive, and dropped it into a Firewire enclosure. Has been working great. I had no idea there'd been problems with larger than 60 GB drives. <shrug>

The thread, which you may have missed, had to do with installing a number of 80 GB drives in a number of Big Als. After erasing (Disk Utility) and installing the system, everything was hosed and would not boot. The failures for multiple drives tried in multiple Big Al's were all the same, and even occurred when installing into a TiBook.

Then I tried an 80 GB drive that failed and the computer it failed in, but only after partitioning it (30 GB and 50 GB). This time it worked.

One 80 GB drive worked fine from the start in my Big Al, but I set up that drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

I also reported that the 80 GB drives worked fine in bus powered enclosures.

I have used much larger 3 1/2" drives in AC powered firewire enclosures myself, but this topic had more to do with PowerBook matters, where there are advantages (portability, common parts) in using 2 1/2" drives. I want my external drives to work wherever I am with no AC cable.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)