AEBS firmware downgrade - Airport downgrade

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 1 00:05:30 PDT 2003

Heya Sidney.

This points to firmware 5.0.4:

Then to downgrade:
   1) Dowload 5.0.4 from apple.com/support
   2) Place the 5.0.4.bin file somewhere handy on your desktop
   3) Establish a cable connection between you machine and the AEBS
   4) Start the airport admin program
   5) select you BS and choose the upload button then 5.0.4.bin from
your desktop
   6) reboot

Then AEBS will always point you that 5.1 is available each time you use
the admin util but who cares.

So it’s easy to downgrade the Firmware using the Admin Utility. The
trick is to install Airport 3.0.4 over 3.1.

As discussed in a parallel thread about this problem, this is ‘taking a
deep breath,’ and ‘leap of faith’ time. Someone did a Finder search and
threw out everything AirPort. It won’t allow you to chuck a couple of
files, but it’s enough for the installer to think there is no 3.1 left
and will install 3.0.4.

Then reboot.

Mind though, I did not do all this myself: I had various problems
related after upgrading to 5.1 > My AEBS was still under warranty: I
took it back and got a new one. It had firmware 5.0.4 and did not show
ANY of the problems I had. Because of that I did not try to revert to
Aiport 3.0.4 from 3.1, an AEBS with firmware 5.0.4 (as before) cured
all my troubles.

Cheers and good luck

	Massimo

PS
Go to Apple Discussions. It abounds of useful information from users
(mostly).