[Ti] Oh shoot, display...

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Mon Aug 11 21:37:43 PDT 2003

THIS is why I always tell people to buy AppleCare on the portables...
Anyway, the problem is most likely the LCD itself.  The easiest way to
tell is to connect an external display and turn on mirroring; if the
problem only shows up on the internal display, it's a cable or the LCD
panel; unfortunately for you, the cables are part of the LCD panel.
The inverter pretty much never fails, and it's only related to the
backlight anyway.  More often when the backlight goes out, it's also an
LCD panel problem.
However, I have some good news for you.  There seems to be a lot of
confusion by MANY people about Apple's repair pricing, and I don't know
where the misinformation is coming from.  Their laptop repairs are all
flat-rate, UNLESS the problem is caused by abuse or something similar
(most commonly, dropping the computer).  So, in your case, you're
covered under flat-rate repair, not tiered repair.  Flat-rate will
probably run you around $380, not too much more than AppleCare, so
hopefully you won't have any other problems with your computer.  ;-

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html)