[Ti] PB17" Superdrive and DV Video?

Dave Friesen davefriesen at mac.com
Mon Aug 11 22:32:02 PDT 2003

On 8/11/03 8:53 PM, "Benn" <joverkamp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 09:05  PM, Dave Friesen wrote:
>> So you are taking video files and burning them to DVD and then playing
>> them
>> back from the disk?
>
> Yep.  That's the plan.
>
>> Playing back data files is different from playing back DVD movies.
>> Different
>> read priorities.
>
> Yep.  Absolutely.  I burned them as data 'cause I want the original DV
> files in tact.  But I thought burning them to a DVD would allow me to
> watch them in quicktime without a hitch.
>
> Benn

MPEG 2 Video for DVDs stream at 9.8 Mb/sec.

DV is higher than that. IIRC.

The website I sited will have more detail.

Let me know if you can't find what you need.

But I'd say you can't stream DV data from a DVD-R. Not fast enough. As
you've seen. Another issue is that the data from the DVD is probably not
written sequentially on the disk. This just compounds the problem.