[Ti] Computer "Interference"

Paul Russell prussell at arc-software.com
Thu Aug 14 08:27:05 PDT 2003

>Hey listas,
>
>Got a problem and need some of the electrical/computer experts out there to
>help.  I am a mobile DJ and use my TiBook for playing MP3 music (all legal!)
>at my gigs.  I also use a wireless microphone.
>
>I have found that whenever the Ti is plugged in, it interferes with my
>wireless mic.  I can tell this because the base's "ready" light comes on,
>indicating that it has a signal from the mic.  But, the mic's not on.  If I
>unplug the Ti, it goes away.  I have tried a number of things including
>plugging them into different circuits, replacing my audio cables from the Ti
>with shielded ones, etc.   But it appears that the Ti is interfering with
>the signal.
>
>Is there anything I can do to isolate the problem?  Any type of cable or
>insulator to buy?  Short of unplugging the Ti when I want to use the mic,
>that is.  Help would be appreciated.  If you could respond quickly, and Cc:
>me as I am on digest, that would be great.   My sister is getting married
>this weekend, and I would like to have this problem fixed before then.

Chris -

One other suggestion to add to my earlier response. Depending on the
settings in your Energy Saver control panel, the CPU clock speed is
probably running on "Reduced" when you're running on battery  power
and "Highest" when you plug in the power supply. Try setting it to
"Reduced" even when you're running from the power supply and see if
the interference goes away.

Paul

P.S. BTW, just to clarify, either I've misinterpreted your original
post or all the other respondents have - this interference does not
happen when running from battery, only when you plug the power supply
in, right ?