[Ti] Anybody out there? [OT]

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 14:03:50 PDT 2003

Alexandre Kapellos paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>This list (and others...) is extremely quiet!
>Can't be that new virus, we're all on Macs! ...so I guess it has to
>be that huge power failure on the East coast!
>
>Hang in there, it should be over pretty soon... they say!
>
>So, who's fault?
>
>Alexandre

A lot of the medium-sized, and larger, servers are still being
rebooted, if they even have juice yet, in New York and New Jersey.

Here in Syracuse (not far from where the epicenter of the blackout,
according to semi-educated 'guesses' at this point), servers in both
states are sending up something like 404 pages, crossed with
re-routing pages. Instead of gaining access, one is presented with an
index or list of sites (outside links) with info on the state of
things re: the power outage.

Right next door to me, in the Solvay part of Syracuse, everything
went black at around 4pm yesterday, except for most of the village of
Solvay, which has its own power utility, called Village of Solvay
Electric Department. The Solvay utility's clients stayed lit up,
throughout.

<http://www.nypa.gov/Partners/solvay.htm>

Municipally-owned, by the way.

Consider also that Hydro-Quebec, a nationalized Power utility that
monopolizes the Quebec market, (which also sells the cheapest
electricity in the western Hemisphere, and possibly, the World), also
maintained power. The lights on Ste-Catherine St. in Montreal never
even blinked.

It's worth remembering, when we consider the effect of deregulation,
and industry influence upon the so-called 'regulators' in DC, and
their effect on the consumers interests vs. corporate interests
dichotomy.

~flipper