OSX & Netscape mail question

debkmaillist debkmaillist at waymark.net
Fri Aug 15 20:44:09 PDT 2003

Hi -- If this is too far off-topic, please let me know ..... but I DO have a
TiBook!  I have tried to get help from the Netscape forum on CompuServe, but
no joy.

I have never been able to access my Netscape free email accounts (2) from my
new PowerBook, OS 10.2.6.  I have tried from the latest version of IE,
Safari v1.0, and Netscape v7.1.  I get various behavior and error reports --
all are after I have entered my screen-name and password:

1.  IEv5.x -- it churns for a long time, then says:
    A Network Error has Occurred (-3171) - error 1 of 2
    The attempt to load the page failed

2.  Safari v1.0 -- it churns for a long time, then says:
    The HTTP requested presented by your browser is invalid

3.  Netscape v7.1 -- it churns, indicates "waiting for
sns.cqr.ncmail.netscape.com", finally that changes to something else
briefly, then it returns to the "waiting for ..." indicator.  It never times
out or anything.

My PowerBook is ethernetted to a hardware firewall/router, then into
SBCGlobal DSL modem.  The PowerBook is otherwise successful using the web
from all 3 browsers.  It will access my email from my dial-up ISP (backup)
through their online femail connection.  Sometimes, though, I can't send
mail from this account, so I am suspecting something may be off with my Mac
security, or settings, or something.

TCPIP is set up for Built-In Ethernet; using DHCP.  Finds the correct IP
address [of the router] as expected.

I have prowled all the Prefs for all the browsers, changed Netscape's to
HTTP1.0, set all to accept all cookies, large caches, etc.

Netscape's servers seem to be fine -- I am able to access these Netscape
free email accounts from my Dell/Win98se/IEv5.5 just fine, and from my
IBM/Win2kPro/IEv6 just fine.  They also are all networked into the same
router.  The G3 is currently not set up to network it to the router and try
it (in the middle of reformatting and reloading OS9.2.2) -- but should I try
it?  Would that tell me anything about the OSX TiBook?

Hope this helps someone solve this; it's quite inconvenient now that I want
to use my PB for everything possible!  But could something about their mail
servers just not be OSX-compatible?

Thx, Deb