[Ti] FW: Fwd: Un-published Dead Pixel Policy

Deborah Shadovitz Deb at Shadovitz.com
Fri Aug 15 23:29:40 PDT 2003

On 8/15/03 2:11pm, "John Griffin" <jwegriffin at mac.com> typed:

> Sam Hotchkiss typed this message on 8/15/03 4:31 PM:
>
>>> I was surfing through MacMerc.com and I was surprised to see their
>>> current highlight, A page scanned directly out of an Apple tech manual
>>> showing the dead/bright pixel policy that Apple won't tell us.
>>> Apparently, Apple will replace the display if you have 5 bright
>>> pixels, or 7 dead pixels.  However, anything less and they'll tell you
>>> it's normal.  At the bottom of the page, there's a special notice
>>> telling the reader to not make this policy known.  Very interesting
>>> indeed.  here's the link: http://www.macmerc.com/news/rumors/1016
>
> Has anyone every actually seen a powerbook with 5 bright pixels or 7 dead
> pixels?

Nope. Someone I know had 3 (in a large screen iMac) but that's the very most
I ever heard. One friend had one stuck on blue and it bugged him. He sold it
to another friend who never notices it. It's on the far right, lower area
which is usually desktop.

The bigger the monitor, the more likely you'll have a bad pixel.

I am not sure it's a big secret about the policy in that when you have a bad
pixel you get told quickly. To be fair about it, those screens are expensive
to buy and they'd cost us a larger fortune if Apple had to reject every
single area that landed up with one bad pixel. On the other hand, if you
have one that bugs the heck out of you, I feel you should be allowed to deem
it a flaw and not have to live with it.