[Ti] [OT] OSX & Netscape mail question

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Tue Aug 19 00:16:50 PDT 2003

lördagen den 16 augusti 2003 kl 05.44 skrev debkmaillist:

> I have never been able to access my Netscape free email accounts (2)
> from my new PowerBook, OS 10.2.6.  I have tried from the latest
> version of IE, Safari v1.0, and Netscape v7.1.  I get various behavior
> and error reports -- all are after I have entered my screen-name and
> password:
>
> My PowerBook is ethernetted to a hardware firewall/router, then into
> SBCGlobal DSL modem.  The PowerBook is otherwise successful using the
> web from all 3 browsers.  It will access my email from my dial-up ISP
> (backup) through their online femail connection.  Sometimes, though, I
> can't send mail from this account, so I am suspecting something may be
> off with my Mac security, or settings, or something.

> TCPIP is set up for Built-In Ethernet; using DHCP.  Finds the correct
> IP address [of the router] as expected.
> I have prowled all the Prefs for all the browsers, changed Netscape's
> to HTTP1.0, set all to accept all cookies, large caches, etc.
> I am able to access these Netscape free email accounts from my
> Dell/Win98se/IEv5.5 just fine, and from my IBM/Win2kPro/IEv6 just
> fine, networked into the same router.
> Could something about Netscape mail servers just not be OSX-compatible?
--------------
OS 10.2.6 works fine on Netscape.com free mail service, so that's not
the issue.

Could it possibly be that your Keychain or similar remember your
"first" password and therefor not accepting your request from the PB?

In that case of course you should get an answer of wrong password, but
maybe that information have problem being displayed through your
firewall settings of some reason.

My suggestion is that you connect your PB as directly as possible to
the outside world for the test. You will then at least know if it is a
settings for Netscape mail in your PB or something in the firewall and
so on. So if the first clean connection is OK than you could add the
router and try again until you find what is causing the problem. Now
you have to many things that maybe interfering with each other and when
you alter some settings you should perhaps have altered something else
at the same time. So take one thing at a time.

I would even go to the extreme of taking your PB and connect from
somebody elses connection if possible. I suspect the firewall settings
is colliding with some settings in OS 10.2.6, but try one thing at a
time.

Lisbeth in Gothenburg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/Culture_in_School> updat 030606
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in