streaming TV - not available for the Mac (?)

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Aug 20 05:41:50 PDT 2003

The SwissCom subsidiary BlueWin (Swiss ISP provider) has started
streaming TV over the ADSL lines, at 2 Mb/s, even if you are only
subscribed to a 256k connection, as I am.

However, the streaming TV does not work on my Ti-500/10.2.6.

I spoke to them, and apparently "it does not work on a Mac..."

I thought that streaming TV was a technology built in to QuickTime.

It seems that BlueWin are using some M$T (might have guessed....)
program (I think she said SoftGate?) that uses Windows Media Player
(which I have) but it still does not work with a Mac.

If I even try to access the web-site
(http://www.streaming-it.bluewin.ch) it simply says that your browser
does not work, and that you need IE5.01.

In fact it does not work with IE5,2, Chimera, iCab, Safari, OmniWeb,
Netscape, etc (anything Mac).

I told BlueWin that at least the website should eb avilable to Mac
users, even if the streaming TV is not.

Does anyone have an idea how M$T has software that prevents Mac from
receiving streaming TV?

Or have I missed something ?

regards,  Trevor