[Ti] [Ti][OT] Web site design and hosting

Phillip McGree phil at phil.net.au
Fri Aug 22 22:03:02 PDT 2003

Hiya Tim,

I've put together various web sites as a hobby over the years but due to my lack of graphic talent hadn't pursued anything commercial.  But I formed a partnership a few months ago with a top graphic designer and now we are publishing commercial web sites.  Tony does the Photoshop work and sets the design direction, and I use FireWorks and GoLive to turn it all into web pages.

Here's some of the sites that we have done lately:

Our business site:
http://www.webset.com.au

Others:

http://www.webset.com.au/demo/giardini

http://www.salsaaddiction.net

http://www.tyresforbikes.com.au

http://www.venusperth.com

http://www.penthouseescorts.com.au

We are also currently developing http://www.hartleykawasaki.com.au as well.

We don't over-design things.  There are too many web designers that are filling web pages with extra crap that slows it down too much for the average person.  Sure, the designer(s) get to preview their work on nice fast computers with fast internet links, but there are plenty of end viewers (ie customers) that are looking at web sites on old computers via slower dialup links.  So we keep to simple html for now.

Basically, we know enough to make a good looking fast site, but we don't know enough to stuff it up with extra crap.

We are actually in Australia, but can pursue a conversation via email or chat programs if you would like.

For web hosting, we have a server here in Perth, but there's plenty of good options in America.  I highly recommend that you choose a server that has Cpanel, it's the best control panel around!  http://www.serverplex.com sells reseller accounts, but they are cheap.

Regards,
Phil